End of First Term at UCT

A few updates since last post…

Mountain and Ski Club service project, March 10
I volunteered with the UCT Mountain and Ski Club’s Siyenyuka Project. We took 15 high school students from a a disadvantaged area of the Western Cape for their first rock climbing experience at Lakeside Pinnacle in Cape Town. The students proved to be fearless and willing to try anything. By the end of the day every student made it to the top of the wall, some with the help of experienced climbers climbing by their sides. I was last to go up, and as one of the supervisor figures, I was surprised to find that one student wanted to show me what she learned and she fascined my harness and tied my “figure of 8” knot. When she noticed I was a bit nervous, since I am still new at climbing, she cheered me on and pointed out the route she took when she climbed the same wall. I was very impressed and I am extremely excited to see the students again on our next Siyenyuka Adventure!
For more photos of us at Lakeside Pinnacle click here- Lakeside Pinnacle Photos

Argus Cycling Tour, March 11
The Argus Cycling Tour is the biggest organized bicycling race in the world. Everyone who participates in the race leaves with a certificate with their time on it. About 35,000 cyclists take part in it every year  and the race is 110 kilometers long around Cape Town. The Kromboom Rotary, and other local Rotary Clubs, participate in the organization and marshalling of the event every year. It was with pleasure that I was able to marshal the race and direct bikers on a sharp turn down  the road. I was extremely surprised to see people attempting the Argus on unicycles and low to the ground 3 wheeled bikes. I met a couple who were sitting where I had to marshal who were there at 5:30 and had been claiming that spot for the past 20 years. And I was lucky enough to be assigned there J 
My lunch break!


Hike and Clean of Table Mountain- Human Rights Day, March 21
On Human Rights day classes were canceled so I did another service project with Mountain and Ski Club to clean up Table Mountain. The people who operate the cable car gave all the volunteers free tickets on the cable car up and down for the day. We arrived at the top of the  mountain and grabbed our trash bags and abseiling equipment. My group was the least fortunate to have the side of the mountain opposite of the trail back up so when we got to the bottom and were finished collecting trash, we had to hike around the point of the mountain, under the cable car, and back up to where we were so that we could ride the cable car back down. The day was a ton of fun but also terrifying. Abseiling requires a lot of focus because you hold your own life in your hands when you hold onto the rope. In the morning it was so foggy I couldn’t see below the ledges and it made me aware that I was above the clouds. In the afternoon it cleared up and when we were back to the top of the mountain we could see all the land that didn’t exist before. We collected tons of trash that no one else could reach without courage, and for that I am proud. J



Cape Town Carnival, March 24
The Carnival of Cape Town is a huge parade that usually takes place on Long Street but this year was on the fan walk to the Fifa World Cup Stadium. It consisted of floats and Indian and South African dance groups. I went with a few friends and we watched from a rooftop restaurant. It was a great experience and it brought the whole town together.

Now
I am currently researching socio-cultural factors involved in learning, problem solving, and language acquisition of primary school children. I am writing a few end-of-term papers before the upcoming Easter break where I will be spending 9 days camping in Namibia. More to come.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road Trip South Africa- Part 2

Road Trip South Africa- Part 1

Education Without Borders