Living Below the Line: Day 2

Today I started with the same breakfast as yesterday, and the same breakfast I will probably eat all week: Weetbix and milk

I knew I was going to have a long day so I packed a snack... but didn't end up eating it because I had a big lunch and didn't want to waste the money.

For lunch, I attended a Bhakti Yoga Society meeting, that my friend and I attend almost every week. These meetings usually have guest speakers who talk about Vedic religious beliefs which include reincarnation, vegetarianism, importance of relaxation techniques, and today we listened to and learned to sing Hare Krishna. I do not have a particular religious preference, but these meetings are very informational and interesting because I can often apply what they are saying to my life. The fundamental belief is that all religions are founded on the same beliefs... I find reassurance in that. :-)
The meal consisted of rice, curry, veggie balls, sauteed veggies, one samosa, cake, and a chickpea fudge bar. I estimate that the price of this meal is no more than .50 cents per person because I don't believe they could afford to feed everyone in the room on more than that. Although the meal was free for me and I have the privilege of attending a university where I encounter the right to attend events with free food, for the purpose of this challenge I have  taken a dollar out of my budget for this meal.

This challenge is opening my eyes to all sorts of privileges of which I had previously been unaware.  When I spoke to another kitchen mate about doing this challenge he said, "You need to stop eating those corn flakes!"...Cornflakes and milk have always been my idea of a cheap meal when I don't feel like cooking. But, after that comment I realize how expensive even a bowl of cornflakes can be. It is not the first time that someone in my kitchen has pointed out my spending choices, from my elaborate dish set that was the cheapest I could find, my top shelf granola cereal, my bags of pre-chopped veggies that I hadn't yet planned what to do with... This week I am proving something to myself and to them.... :-)

Total day's meals:
Breakfast-
Weetbix                      .20 cents
milk                            .19 cents
tea                               .02 cents
Lunch-                       
Indian food                  $1
Dinner-
slice of bread              .04 cents

Day's total: $1.45
....I have .05 cents left, debating on a second slice of bread or tea. Good night!


My boyfriend Joey and I are living below the line together on opposite sides of the world. If you would like to donate to the cause and help sponsor us click on the following link :-) https://www.livebelowtheline.com/me/joeybelanger

You are also invited to follow his blog at joeybelowtheline.blogspot.com








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road Trip South Africa- Part 2

Road Trip South Africa- Part 1

Education Without Borders