Living Below The Line: Day 3

I woke up at 5:30 this morning to do Taebo with some friends. I am never good at working out in the morning because it always makes me dizzy to start moving so early.  Some people say you need to eat something first thing in the morning and some say you need to work out before you eat. I went to Taebo on an empty stomach that was still growling from last night. I left the class one time because I felt nauseous... someone else came out for a one minute break and told me, "You should eat just an apple before you work out in the morning so that you're not full and your not empty". I thought to myself, "That would mean 0.12 cents of my budget for the day would be gone before 8am..."

I've never been much of a dieter. I've only aimed for goals of changing my lifestyle to eat healthier. I've gone through phases of cutting out refined sugar, red meat, all meat, dairy and eggs, but I have never limited the amount of intake of food. Ive always had the option of eating more fruits and veggies or whole grains if I am hungry between meals, and it has never been too much of a problem. Living Below The Line is a whole different challenge from simply cutting out certain foods. I am, for the first time, unable to eat when I am hungry.

Today I found myself wondering what I would have for dinner all day. I didn't sit down and calculate the price of my breakfast and lunch so when 4 o'clock rolled around and I was on a bus to volunteer and wondered if I could afford to eat the apple I had put in my bag. And more importantly, if that apple would mean a smaller dinner. I ate the apple anyway, came back from volunteering and went straight to the library to work on a paper. I prayed the guy next to me couldn't hear my stomach growl...

On a lighter note, my kitchen mate had shared another secret recipe: Rice and potatoes with a squeeze of ketchup and mayonnaise. He told me that you figure it out when its all you have...I told him I was bummed I didn't have my phone to take a picture of his culinary art.

I have gotten so much great feedback today that, although I have not raised any money yet, I am happy to at least have support from friends in the U.S. and in South Africa. It proves that I am generating at least some type of awareness of global poverty issue.

Breakfast:
Weetbix and milk- .39 cents

Lunch:
Cup o' soup- .37 cents
2 slices of bread- .08 cents

Snack
apple- .12 cents
instant coffee- .04 cents



Dinner
Corn meal .11 cents
one egg- .27 cents
spinach- .10 cents

grilling spinach with no oil
Final product



















total for the day- 1.48

_____________________________________________________________________________

My boyfriend Joey and I are living below the line together on opposite sides of the world. If you would like to donate to the cause and help sponsor us click on the following link :-) https://www.livebelowtheline.com/me/joeybelanger

You are also welcome to check out his blog at www.joeybelowtheline.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road Trip South Africa- Part 2

Road Trip South Africa- Part 1

Acceptance into the University of Cape Town